Spend your time working on projects on the cutting edge of human health and disease. These are projects that will **make a difference** in people’s lives. BioDiscovery is a leader in the field and you will be challenged by developing solutions to both scientific and technical problems that have immediate impact on human health. You will have the satisfaction of knowing that your contributions will be put into immediate use at leading top-tier academic institutions, cancer centers, and biopharmaceutical companies who are in pursuit of better diagnoses and treatments for disease.
BioDiscovery offers advanced software solutions for DNA microarray and next-generation sequencing data analytics. We provide a full line of products spanning many aspects of genomic data analysis, with a special emphasis on structural variation, sequence variation, expression analysis, integrated genomics, and big data analytics. Our applications are delivered to end-user scientists and clinicians, and we efficiently handle large-scale data from all commercial platforms. As genomic-based drug discovery and medical diagnostics further evolve, we continue our history of making a difference in the world of genomic data analysis.
BioDiscovery was established in 1997 in Los Angeles, California as a pioneer in the nascent field of microarray informatics. With a strong heritage of established portfolio products, the company has aggressively applied best-practice technologies and development methodologies, with the result of minimal technical debt. Today, BioDiscovery counts over 3000 customers across over 30 countries, daily making use of the most robust, scalable, and capable products in the industry.
What we are looking for
We are looking for a talented software engineer to join our experienced development team to create new products for the genomics market. Our technology development ranges from native desktop applications to scaled enterprise systems. A biology background is not required as the technical team is complemented by a scientific team of PhD-level biologists and bioinformaticians. A solid technical education is, however, important (computer science, engineering, hard sciences, etc). While we have no specific criterion for "years of experience", the type of developer we are looking for would possess "senior" level skills. We are genuinely looking for knowledge, skill, and ability.
Our ideal candidate will:
* have a demonstrated ability to write high-performance Java code along with intimate knowledge of the JVM
* Experience developing systems with NoSQL databases (e.g. MongDB, Couch, …)
* have a full and practical understanding of object-oriented design patterns (think the 23 GoF patterns, etc); know when and where to use them without going overboard
* be skilled with *both* imperative and functional programming paradigms, and understand which to use for a set of circumstances; therefore, the candidate should know at least one functional programming language (we use Scala)
* have a broad but thorough understanding of enterprise software architecture patterns and styles
* solid understanding of web frameworks and principles of web-based application design.
What's in It for You
These keywords will give you an idea of some of the technologies or like-technologies that we use in our products and stack: Java, Scala, Python, Bash, Linux Shell (Bash, etc), cloud computing, AWS Amazon Web Services, application servers, Jetty, NoSQL, OrientDB, REST, Git, SVN, algorithms, computational biology, bioinformatics.
### And then there were perks... ###
* Competitive salary
* Health insurance
* Retirement account matching
* Company equity
* Conferences, both bioinformatics and software
* Flexible work schedule
* Work with a genuinely top-notch team of biologists and software engineers
* Small company environment: your boss is the CEO
* Established, non-venture-backed, profitable company
* You should be creative and innovative by nature, because your ideas will be heard
We have an extensive [video library](http://www.biodiscovery.com/video-library/) of tutorials and webinars on our website if you'd like to learn more about our products.
Ideally, the candidate will work from our office in El Segundo, CA. However, the right person can also work from a home office anywhere with occasional in-office visits. This is a unique opportunity to create fundamentally new approaches to a significant and growing real-world challenge. Listings for all of our open positions are posted on our website (http://www.biodiscovery.com/corporate/employment/).
If it sounds like you might be a good fit, please send your resume along with a cover letter putting **Full Stack Software Engineer** in the subject line. Please include any open source projects you've worked on, any relevant profiles on GitHub, Bitbucket, StackOverflow, etc., and your LinkedIn profile.